Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Stages of work for Hollis class

First we selected a photo and made A3 size. This is my grandson Tenzin aged 15.
Then we traced the blocks of shading on to tracing paper to give a guideline for colour change when dyeing with the procion dyes (thickened with medium and mixed to get the right colours) This was then traced on to the fabric using a light box or against the window.
Then we used coloured pencils to shade in the colours we would need to give a guideline
 We mixed the procion dye colours we needed and painted the picture on to the fabric. We then matched the thread colour to the dyes and noted where we had shaded colour from our picture above to complete the project with thread painting. 
This is a close up to show thread painting.
This is the final result with dyeing and thread painting, not as good as I would have liked but this was my first attempt at this technique.
My second one is still not completed but is my next project to finish. I took a photo of hibiscus flowers in the garden and used this as an inspiration. This is a drawing I made by looking at the photo. I used this drawing to trace outlines on to fabric ready for dye painting.


This is the finished dye painting. One of the challenges is that you can paint shading on but a lot of what you paint washes off so you can't get the effect of shading until you use the thread painting. I aim to use the drapplique technique here and applique the stamen in the middle and use beads or french knots for the bits at the end of the stamen. I think the thread painting will add lots more depth.

I will post a pic of this when it has been thread painted.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment